There are many different types of arthritis, and osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis. This condition affects the bone joints in the body, especially those joints which bear weight including the hand, hip, spinal and knee. It is a degenerative disease that results from changes in the joint cartilage structure which is meant to function as the shock absorb or padding of the joints.
The symptoms of the disease are joint pain, stiffness, warmth, swelling and deformation. This disease can affect all or specific parts of the body. There is no established cure for Osteoarthritis but there are remedies which can significantly reduce the symptoms and pain. Here are some natural remedies you can prepare at home and some tips to reduce the pain.
- Lifestyle Changes. As much as possible do not involve yourself in any activity that requires you to strain joints with unwanted stress. No matter which part of the body is affected, it is best to not tax your body in anyway.
- Rest. If the person is suffering from acute inflammation then they must rest otherwise the pain aggravates. A little rest can greatly reduce the pain
- Exercise. Regular exercise can go a long way in decreasing arthritis pain significantly, according to health experts. The exercise builds muscle strength which also helps make the joints stronger. It also relieves stress and reduces he pain. You should consult your doctor before you start exercising as they can tell you what will work best in your condition.
- Healthy Diet. You must avoid food items which are acidic. Fruits and vegetables are a must in any diet.
- Food. Add items such as herbal tea of alfalfa, eggplants, garlic, green gram, bananas, sesame seeds etc. to your daily diet.
- Calcium. You need to take calcium in form of calcium lactate which is easily absorbed and gives great results.
- Omega 3 fatty acids. Include nuts like walnuts in your diet as it is a good source of essential omega 3 fatty acids. It helps to renew the cells in the body and corrects any wear and tear.
- Salt baths or sea bathing. The salt contains iodine which is an important nutrient as it rebuilds tissues and vitalizes the body.
- Massage. The massage improves circulation of blood, soothes the muscle spasm, tension, stiffness and help relate pain and inflammation. Apply a thin layer of Biofreeze into the painful area. BIOFREEZE is a natural pain analgesic that can help to treat the pain caused by arthritis and neuropathy.
- Heat and Cold Therapy. The therapy involves applying a heating pad and then ice packs to treat the pain caused by osteoarthritis. This method is commonly used by athletes and others with injuries. In both cases the therapy soothes stiffness and joint pain.
The natural remedies are effective when the condition is in the initial stages. If the person suffices from moderate or severe osteoporosis then these homemade remedies may not be very effective. In such conditions you can go for over-the-counter pain relief drugs or consult your doctor for other prescription drugs which provide effective relief from the pain caused by osteoporosis.